Sunday, September 17, 2017

Can You Make Decisions Quickly?

I have taught students about decision making theory from incrementalism to rational decision making.  I’ve taught and used tools of decision making  such  as statistical process control, flow charting, to various forms of brainstorming to help groups make decisions.  I’ve seen the problems of group think, the description by Janis of the pressure team members feel to agree on a decision. I’ve seen the problem of “taking a trip to Abilene,” the description Harvey describes when a individuals in a group feel self-imposed pressure to agree because of irrational fears. Yet I was unprepared to handle a minor ruckus.

I was getting on a bus going between Portland and Bangor, Maine.  By all who take this bus, it is convenient, comfortable and easy.  As I got on a disagreement was taking place between a passenger and a bus employee.  I didn’t really pay much attention.  It continued and I heard, you didn’t pay.  Yes, I   did. Where are you going? We’ll call the police. It went on for a few minutes inconveniencing a full bus of 40 or 50 passengers.  We were  already a little late starting even before the incident.  Being a little late isn’t quite the issue, problem solving concern, it once was. Almost all of us can call and tell friends or family we’re running late.

Suddenly I decided that this was silly.  For $25, this problem could be ended. I became stressed as I tried to get my wallet. I had a knapsack on wheels so had trouble getting out the wallet. By the time I made my way to the front, the passenger was showing his driver’s license and presumably was going to be billed.  If only I had been quicker to find a creative solution, just giving a passenger the money the problem could have been solved quickly.

Although we talk about the need for creative and innovative employees, I found it was natural for me. I don’tI train groups to be more innovative explicitly, only through the tools I previously mentioned. I’m sure I and others wondered whether “they” would solve the problem.  It wasn’t up to me or you or was it?  Have you been in a situation where your quick thinking solved a problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment