Monday, April 18, 2016

Could you become a citizen?

I recently had the honor of attending a citizenship ceremony.  It was absolutely wonderful. There were 26 future citizens from 12 different countries.  A chorus from a local high school sang a serenade of three patriotic songs.  It made me tearful and proud.  Of course, the chorus sang the Star Spangled Banner as the audience and new citizens sang.

Bangor High School Chorus

One of the judges told about his family's emigration from Italy to the United States and how it affected his life.

What I found most surprising was the oath.

Getting her citizenship certificate
"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

I had no idea as a native born that the Oath placed an emphasis on your support of the military, defending the United States.  The Oath values, not democracy, equality, freedom, liberty, but your general support of the Constitution.  Take a look at the words, "defend the Constitution and the laws...against all enemies", "bear arms", "perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces",
Mary Calder, citizen

My friend became a citizen is in her early 60s (I'm in my 60s too) so she's probably not going to join the military.  She's a nurse so she is definitely serving her new country.

If you were writing the oath, what would you put in it?  What would you emphasize?



Management.Vision emphasizes practical and proven methods to ensure a better work environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment